Friday, September 21, 2012

My Interview With Celebrity Hairstylist Angela C Styles from WeTV's LA Hair!!


We all know Angela from the hit TV show L.A. Hair on weTV!  She is the amazingly talented celebrity hair stylist who is determined to go all the way to the top!! I knew that with her working side by side with Celebrity Hair Stylist, Kim Kimble, she was definitely a girl with undeniable skills!  Angela was so kind to talk to me and give me her input on hair, how she got started in the industry and what's next in her career as a celebrity hair stylist! Meet Angela C Styles!!!


Me: How long have you been doing hair? When did you know you wanted to be a hairstylist?

Angela: Ive been a licensed stylist for 6 years. I've always had an affinity for hair and after my first year of college I decided to make it a career. Growing up braiding  was always my side hustle and I loved "playing" in my relatives hair.

Me: How did you meet Kim Kimble and end up working in her shop? Are you still at her shop?

Angela: I met Kim Kimble through a normal interview process. After researching several salons before my transition I set my sights on her studio in West Hollywood. After making initial contact with the salon manager and going through several interviews, I met Kim. She hired me the next day.
Angela with Kim Kimble and the hairstylists of LA Hair
Me: Seems like everyone is getting sew-ins nowadays. In your opinion, what's the best kind of hair to use and why ?

Angela: Virgin hair is the best to use because its not processed which in turn will make the style last the longest and look the best. Also purchasing hair from a reputable company saves the client a lot of guess work. Hair that tangles, sheds, and breaks easily are clear indications of less than top quality Extensions. Texture is another important factor when purchasing hair. Try and find hair that resembles your natural texture as close as possible for the best blend.

Me: Do you specialize in one type of hair styling or do you do it all??  What are the top 3 tools you use in your kit?

Angela: I'd like to consider myself as a well rounded hairstylist. I specialize in extensions and haircuts but I do almost everything.  Short, long, natural hair, color, updos etc. My top three tools would have to be needle and thread, my flat iron, and Aveda Control Paste.

Angela hooking someone's hair up!
Me: In your opinion what are some of the biggest mistakes women make when it cones to taking care of their hair?

Angela: People make all kinds of mistakes and the main ones are overusing product, or neglecting to use any at all. Mixing lots of products is also a common no no. Lastly trying to hold on to length is a common mistake. Hair grows faster and longer when trims become a regular routine.

Me: I watched the show and almost every episode I said to myself, I want Angela's hair!!! Your hair is always gorgeous! Who does your hair? Since you're a celebrity hairstylist, are you very particular about how you want your hair done? How do you decide on your current hairstyle?

Angela: Thank you for the high compliments. I style my own hair normally as I did for the show. I'm a Virgo hairstylist which means Im very picky, like to be in control, and take matters into my own hands. There aren't too many people who I trust to style my hair and to be honest I actually enjoy doing it myself, weaves and all.

Me: Your skills as a hairstylist are flawless!  Do you have plans to open your own shop? If people want you to do their hair (like myself, lol)  how can they book you?

Angela: Currently I have a private suite in West Hollywood where I take most clients when I'm not on location. I would like to expand my business and open a salon on my hometown Chicago soon. Clients can book me through my agency just email me at www.AngelaCstyles.com for more information.


Me: Who was the first celebrity you worked with? Do you ever get nervous doing a celebrity's hair?

Angela: Tina Knowles was the first celebrity I styled. I just did a basic shampoo blow out and style on her. I've never really been nervous to work with anyone because at the end of the day, we are all people who want and need the same things.  I always look forward to meeting new people just to see their personality outside of the persona they may have.
Angela at a LA Hair Event in Chicago

Me: What's next for you as far as your career goes? Any events coming up? Are you doing hair for any special events?

Angela: I've been working a lot with two very talented new artists. Rita Ora and Melanie Amaro on their projects surrounding their upcoming albums.  I have my hands full with that as well as my other clients. I will begin doing educational videos and attending some of the larger trade shows in the upcoming year as well.
2011 X Factor Winner Melanie Amaro, Hair By Angela

Jay-Z's artist Rita Ora at the 2012 VMAs, Hair by Angela
Me: Any advice for aspiring hairstylist trying to make it in the industry?

Angela: Find a way to keep yourself motivated and set yourself apart. Make every style picture perfect and concentrate on perfecting one thing before expanding on new skills. Educate yourself as much as possible an keep your eye on trend in the fashion industry. Lastly, present yourself and talents in a way that looks sellable. Stay polished and represent what you do. Make a resume and bio for yourself that's put together in a well articulated and concise manner, keep professional photos of your work and work history throughout your career.

Please be sure to stay connected with Angela on her rise to the top:
Twitter: AngelaCStyles
Instagram: angelacstyles

Angela is such a sweet person! She really gave us some helpful information and insight to her career! I know she has a very promising career doing hair and she is just getting started! Sending many thanks and love to Celebrity Hairstylist Angela C Styles!! 

1 comment:

  1. I am about to tell you about Top Celebrity Stylist? Advancments in Top Celebrity Stylist can be linked to many areas. Indispensable to homosapians today, it is yet to receive proper recognition for laying the foundations of democracy. Inevitably feelings run deep amongst global commercial enterprises, obviously. Relax, sit back and gasp as I display the rich tapestries of Top Celebrity Stylist.

    ReplyDelete